Tuesday 21 September 2010

The Difficult Second Post.


Welcome back into the dark, dripping cavity of my Dirty Mouth.

I promised myself I would update this everyday and hopefully create some new artwork, which would serve as a complimentary image to the theme of the word text stuff.

That hasn’t quite happened.

This is an update, yes, but as I am yet to complete any artwork, there are no finished images.

So today I will talk about my ‘process’ or ‘processes’, to give you a little window into the artist at work. Or how an unemployed, overweight bearded man spends his days when he should be looking for jobs. This is likely to be quite boring and worthless, but I’m doing this blog more for me than you. So there.

I used to call myself a comic illustrator, but seeing as I haven’t really created a piece of comic art since my degree, I would currently class myself as an illustrator. An unemployed illustrator we’ve established, but an illustrator all the same.

‘What was the comic art you created for your degree?’ I hear no one ask. Well, It was an adaptation of ‘The Tell Tale Heart’ by Edgar Allan Poe, which has been in my portfolio so long I can’t bare to look at it. However it will probably make its way here if there is a slow week.

Anyways, materials wise, I mainly use various pencils (B’s of some kind), biros, and acrylics for the painting part. I usually work on Bristol board, but at CassArt on Berrick Street (PLUG) they were selling some thicker board, which I have started using instead. Went in there to get some more recently but they didn’t have any. The bastards (NOT SO MUCH A PLUG).

I got into the habit of tracing my line work from found images and photos, but as you will see from one of the following images, I’ve tried to step into the dangerous and unforgiving world of drawing without reference once again. Anyways this is some pictures of some drawings what I did. Look at them.





After I get the pencil work done, I trace those filthy line sluts with my biro. And those pencil line bitches love every minute of it.
Ahem. The reason I use biro is because I use a lot of paint washes in my work, and washes are usually watery, and biro is resistant to water. SO I CAN STILL SEE THE LINE EVEN WITH LOADS OF WATERY PAINT ON TOP! IT’S LIKE MAGIC!
See For youself!






Next stage is to build up afore mentioned washes, and incoporate little details and thicker layers of paint. I find this gives the image depth, and with the right colour scheme can create a moody, atmospheric feel. Which is good for the budding comic artist who can’t be bothered to draw detailed backgrounds. A couple of deep, colourful, moody, atmospheric washes over poorly drawn close ups and figures are all you need!
See how I do that here.







I think that is enough for today, I am tired and it is late and this was far too long for something that is unlikely to ever be read. More on these (Who?, Why?, etc) when they are done.

 I’m coming back tomorrow. You won’t get the better of me, I WILL ALWAYS WIN.

For I am the Dirty Mouth, Bane of the Orthodontist.



Todays studio soundtrack provided by:

Fantomas- ‘Delirium Cordia’ and ‘Suspended Animation’
Sonic Youth- ‘Daydream Nation’

No comments:

Post a Comment